Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Time for Reflection

I just returned from an incredibly relaxing family vacation in Mexico. Having the opportunity to kick-back, relax and just spend time with family was rewarding and rejuvenating. For years I was in a heads-down, white knuckle, business-first mode and admittedly lost sight of the importance of spending quality time with my family and allowing myself some much deserved R&R.

When I founded KnowledgeStaff one of the resolutions that I made was that I was going to structure the business in a way that gave me more balance between my personal and professional commitments. I am happy to say that thus far, I have been very successful in honoring that resolution and that as a result, my family relationships and mental well-being are better than they ever have been. It is just plain working.

With my back against a lounge chair, a frozen margarita in my hand and the beautiful ocean in front of me I remember having three distinct thoughts:

The first was the importance of spending this quality time with my family away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life…this time is precious and should be enjoyed whenever possible by everyone

The second was the realization that from time to time I just need some time for myself to leave all of the issues of business behind and allow myself some time to relax and recharge my body. As I near 50 years of age this is becoming more and more important (did I really say 50?)

And finally, a confirmation of the importance of working with true professionals that get the job done – no matter what. At no point during my trip did I have any concerns that everything at work was being taken care of. I cannot tell you how liberating this is and in fact, it was these very people that allowed me to have the great time that I did. The hiring of great people is so important to not just getting the job done but to also creating any sense of balance between your personal and professional commitments.

I challenge you to take an objective look at the people around you to see if they allow you to have the type of freedom and peace of mind that I had on my recent vacation.

If they do, CONGRATULATIONS on doing a great job of identifying great employees and be sure to keep them happy.

If they do not, what actions are necessary to right the ship?

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

No comments: